Wednesday 14 April 2010

For all those budding Neil Sedaka's...

I have been thinking of new things to post up on here which may not be directly about the show, I wasn't have too much luck finding inspiration online, and as the show is so fantastic I think perhaps I may have been avoiding straying slightly off topic!

BUT

Then I came across "The Ultimate Songwriting Blog" and thought perhaps, seeing as the show's focus is a songwriter, that there might be some helpful hints to those of you who perhaps are Sedaka's in the making! As I read further I thought that regardless of whether you are a budding new songwriter or not, it may well be of interest to learn about the process which is so dear to Neil Sedaka, and indeed Howie Greenfield's heart. HERE is the link to the Ultimate Songwriting Blog. But if you don't fancy reading it, I've posted the 3 best tips that I find on the site.

1. USE YOU'RE OWN EXPERIENCE

"It's much easier to write about what you know than what you've never been through. It comes from within. You should however think of your market and give your songs a global appeal. "

2. CONSTANTLY CARRY A NOTEBOOK

"Similarly, you should carry a notebook. Jot down these ideas. They come unexpectedly. Some of the greatest hits that were ever written started with one simple, stupid idea. Don't miss out. "

3. KEEP IT SIMPLE

"As far as I'm concerned, you should say what you have to say and call it quits. Don't worry too much about facts. Work every bit of emotion into your song and your song writing. You're writing songs to impact on people's feelings."

No comments:

Post a Comment